Thursday, September 10, 2009

Scotland, Here We Come!

When we found out we were going to be stationed in Germany, one of the first things we did was book a trip to Scotland. My friend Karissa is married to a Scotsman, and they make the trip back at least once a year, if not twice. They already had their trip booked, so we booked ours during the time they would be there. This weekend, woohoo!!

Karissa and Gregor were an amazing support after Brad left for Germany. All my friends in California were spectacular, really. But this post is about the trip to Scotland, so I will focus on that!! When Brad left, I had a great deal to do - take care of the boys, work with the movers, take cars to be shipped overseas, pack for TX, etc. I ended up staying with Karissa and Gregor since the movers took all our essentials a little less than a week before we left. It made my life much easier in that I could run all kinds of errands and have help with the boys. Karissa and Gregor cooked meals for my kids, gave them baths, loved them when they were sad, dressed them, changed them, ran errands for us, took us everywhere we needed to be (including an hour away to drop off one of the cars for shipment) etc.

One of the most difficult things about leaving California was saying goodbye to this family. Nolan, Karissa and Gregor's son, is Joshua's best friend. Yes, he is only 3, but the distinction is very clear in his mind. He loves Nolan very much, and the thought of separating those two weighed very heavily on our hearts. And then there is Keira. Keira just turned two, and she and Jacob have very much a love/hate relationship. But love absolutely is the dominant emotion. I think "Jacob" was one of Keira's first words! And then there is Karissa. Very much a kindred spirit, she is my "soul sister" and I miss her terribly. And Gregor. Who couldn't miss Gregor? Amazing at pitching in without complaint, he really filled the gaps for us when Brad had to leave. Taking me to pick up the car, building boxes to ship stuff to Brad, always willing to give rides to the airport, watch the kids, etc. etc. etc. Is it any wonder we are anxious to be reunited with these friends? And come tomorrow, we will be. YAHOO!

No comments: