Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Part II - The Unsuccessful Dropoff

Today was not so fun. I really, really screwed up. Here it goes. Joshua was not so enthusiastic today. He ate his breakfast, but was pretty upset about having to wear underpants to school. He didn't want to wear anything under his jeans. Particularly no underpants. (I will attach the video of him telling me all about it. Funny.) He also didn't want to meet "new friends". He didn't want to see the new Emma, he wanted to see the old Emma (his cousin from Keller, TX). And he wanted to see old friends, particularly Nolan and Dylan. So here is where I screwed up. On the way to school I explained to him that in just TWO days he would be seeing his friend Nolan. He was so excited! I calmly explained that he will go to school today, then sleep tonight, then go to school tomorrow, sleep tomorrow, then when he woke the day after tomorrow we would get on a plane to Scotland and see Nolan, Karissa, Keira, and Gregor. ("Gregor at work?", "No, Gregor is in Scotland with Nolan." "I want to go to Scotland." "We will, day after tomorrow. We will get on a plane to Scotland and see Nolan." "I want to get on a plane with Nolan." *SIGH*)

We get to school and Joshua is very excited. He says to me, "Nolan at school." And I immediately realize why he is so excited now. I explain, "No, Nolan is not at school. He goes to a different school." At this point, we are walking up to the door. "I want to go to different school with Nolan! I want to go to a different school!" He is yelling, parents and toddlers and teachers all around. I quietly explain this is his school, and he begins crying, telling me not to leave. I take him to the bathroom, then to the room where his teacher, Ms. Amy, is leading a well behaved, sweetly cooperating group of toddlers through songs. My child is crying loudly. And getting louder. They tell me to leave, that they will call if he doesn't calm down. So I go to the parking lot and stand there, holding Jacob, and cry because I can still hear him wailing. Last update, the teacher had taken him upstairs to play and to give him a chance to calm down. It has been 45 minutes and no call, so I assume he stopped crying. But this is not a good day so far and I am a sad, sad mommy.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

So glad you guys made it safely, I wish I were there with you. I understand why you are taking it so hard that Joshua got so upset about school. It is hard enough taking him to another country, but now he has investments in others... It will work out fine, So glad he gets to see Nolan tomorrow. I love you guys!

Christy said...

Thanks, em!

godfreysmama said...

Is this the same little boy who they thought was going to have so much trouble talking?? Hmmm?
I hate to say I told you so.
Well, actually I like to say I told you so. ;)

Christy said...

I LOVE hearing you say, "I told you so." I often tell people, "Kathy told me so." Awesome, right??